In the Ancient Far East, such as China, Japan, and Korea, wigs were not very common. However, they were used in theater as well as by entertainers such as Japanese Geishas or Korean Kisaeng.
From the Medieval Era to the Middle Ages, hairstyles presented themselves as more conservative, and wigs became scarce. However, as the Renaissance Age emerged, women didn’t cover their heads as much and began to adorn them with veils and jewels.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, much of the nobility and upper class in Europe had large hairpieces with large curls and even went as far as to decorate their hair with objects such as bird cages.
Though King Louis XIII wanted to cover his baldness with a hairpiece that was more realistic, times were changing, and the farther from looking natural, the better. Queen Elizabeth, I was recognized for her larger-than-life and unbelievable wigs.
The history of wigs can go on and on to the present day. No matter what, though, wigs were always a sign of fashion and typically reserved for those of a higher class. Today it is still all about fashion and may not be reserved for those of wealth, but rather for all the Queens out there.
Benefits of Synthetic or Human Hair Wigs
Throughout history, wigs have at times been created with human hair and at other times with something more synthetic, whether that be from plant fibers or animal hair. It was all crafted according to the purpose of the wig.
Below we have a list of the pros of synthetic and human hair wigs to help you decide which is best for you according to the purpose of your purchase.
Pros of Synthetic Wigs
- Synthetic Wigs come Pre-Styled. This means less work for you. So if your purpose is to have something that you can just put on and go because you’re busy, this is the direction to consider for yourself.
Also, if you are in a situation where you don’t have the energy or physical capability to spend time styling your hair due to medical purposes or physical limitations, this could be a great option for you as well.
- No-Frizz. With a synthetic wig, you don’t have to worry about your hair frizzing up in the Louisiana humidity; you also don’t have to worry about it frizzing up on a rainy day. There is definitely less maintenance on a bad weather day for this wig. Even if it gets wet, it can bounce back to its original styling.
- Typically cheaper. Point blank, this is going to be the cheaper route, allowing you to purchase more variety of wigs if you so desire.
- More Variety of Colors. With synthetic, you will have more options as far as hair color goes. Where you will have all of your natural hair colors, just like a human hair wig, you will also have a variety of specialized fun colors to choose from as well.
Pros of Human Hair Wigs
- Heat tolerant. Human hair wigs, unlike their synthetic counterparts, can withstand heat from curling irons and straighteners. Synthetic hair definitely is more sensitive to heat and oftentimes can’t even be worn to cook with because of the heat in a kitchen.
- Longevity. A typical human hair wig definitely has longer endurance; able to remain in good condition for close to one year. Synthetic wigs typically last four to six months.
- Natural Look. Human hair wigs will look more natural. To state the obvious, it’s because it’s actual hair. Synthetic wigs tend to have more of a shine that’s less natural-looking. Human hair wigs also come in different hair types that are able to match your original, whether you have natural curls, curly hair, straight, or kinky curls.
(If you do choose to go the synthetic route, dry shampoo can help cut the shininess.)
- Color and Dye. If you ever decide with your human hair wig that you want a different color, you can definitely do that. You can not do this with a synthetic wig because the color will not take.
After looking at this list, you may think that you will not get natural-looking hair if you go the route of synthetic. Though it’s not as realistic, it won’t always look completely fake. Wigs have come a long way over the years, and oftentimes synthetic can even fool the untrained eye.
So if you’re out to make a statement with the most eccentric wig like Queen Elizabeth, or whether you want something to look a little more natural locks like Queen You, you are not short of options or supply.
Klassi-La‘Chiq Beauty Essentials
Here at Klassi-La‘Chiq, we are ready to help you on your fashion adventure. Whether it’s hair products, make-up, or jewelry, we have it all here. We also have a selection of wigs and extensions that we would be glad to help you explore.
If you would like to talk with one of us, we would be glad to assist you in finding out which wig is right for you. Just give us a call at 828-676-2422 or visit us at our location in Arden, NC. We look forward to helping you look and feel your best!