Skincare and Waxing
Whether it’s a facial, hair wax, a leg waxing, or a bikini wax, to properly take care of your skin, there is preparation that needs to be done before your appointment. There is also post-care to add to your regimen after your appointment as well
Skincare Before the Wax
- 2-4 Week No Shaving Rule. You want to wait at least two to four weeks since your last hair removal before an appointment for waxing. There are a few reasons for this. The first reason is that if you’ve recently shaved, it could cause irritation to the skin.
The second reason is that you want hair to grow out to be at least a quarter of an inch and not much longer. If the hair is too short, the wax will not properly attach and remove. If the hair is too long, it can get very messy, and even be a more painful experience.
- Exfoliation. Exfoliation is important to prevent ingrown hairs from happening.
- Moisturizing. Waxing is going to be drying the selected spot a little bit. So having it moisturized beforehand will help prevent your skin from drying out too much.
- Hydration. Make sure to drink plenty of water and fluids. This plays in part with moisturizing. If your skin is dried out and doesn’t have enough hydration, the waxing process will be more painful than necessary. Moisturized skin, which drinking water helps, causes the hair follicle to more easily remove itself.
- Pain Relievers. Taking Advil a couple of hours leading up to the waxing will help prevent inflammation and will also help with the pain.
Take some time to prep before your waxing appointment. Your skin will thank you, and so will your salon.
Skincare After the Wax
- Pain Relievers. Continue to take pain relievers to keep the swelling and pain minimal post-wax.
- Exfoliation. It’s still important to keep up exfoliation. However, allow your skin to rest and breathe for one to three days until your skin is no longer sensitive.
- Moisturize (with Vitamin E and/or Collagen). Moisturization, including Vitamin E and/or Collagen, will be great after and between waxes. Moisturization is good for your skin to keep it healthy and youthful. When you have waxing done, and frequently, the constant pulling at the skin requires good elasticity of Vitamin E and/or Collagen to help keep it firm. If not, you could end up with wrinkles and lines on your lips and around your eyes sooner than you’d like.
- Hydration. Hydration and moisturization go hand in hand. Water helps with cleansing your stomach, and your stomach is a huge component when it comes to skincare. If there’s something wrong with your gut, it will almost always make itself known through your skin, especially your face.
We’re sure that there are people out there that do not prepare their skin and do post-care between waxes. However, for healthier and younger-looking skin, we highly recommend it.
Klassi-La’Chiq Beauty Essentials is a beauty supply retail store and fashion boutique in Asheville, NC. With all-natural beauty products, hair supplies, wigs, and head-turning outfits, there's something for everyone in our Arden, NC location.
If you have any questions, you can give us a call at 828-676-2422.